Thursday, April 9, 2009

Seeking the Barakah of Sufi Shuyukh











Bismillah.

I was driven to begin this blog when I learned about a much-loved saint Sheikh Ahmad ibn Mustafa al-Alawi (1869-1934) who founded and directed a publication called Lisan al-Din or 'Language of Faith' in 1912. It is little wonder that shuyukh, the blessed sufis, can have tremendous impact on people though they may have passed on to the next realm a long time ago. Indeed, holy spirits never die, they live on for eternity. I pray so that with barakah from him as a Sufi sheikh in the classic Darqawi Shadhili tradition, and the barakah from my own guru and the prime anchor of my tariqah, Sheikh Bahaudeen Naqshabandi, this space that I have dedicated to you, will flourish with knowledge and light, and that you will follow in their footsteps, bi-iznillah.



Notes:
Alam mithal = The world of analogies.
Tajalli = Unveiling, revelation, irradiation.
Bala shahidna = Yea! we do testify!
Alas tu birobbikum = Am I not your Lord?
From the Qur'an, Al A'raf :172 " When thy Lord drew forth from the Children of Adam from their loins, their descendants, and made them testify concerning themselves, (saying): "Am I not your Lord (Who cherishes and sustains you)?" They said: "Yea! we do testify!" (this), lest ye should say on the Day of Judgment: "Of this we were never mindful."


Further Resource:
3. Biography of Sh. Bahaudeen Naqshabandi

No comments:

Post a Comment