Monday, June 8, 2009

Heaven, Hell & Rabia


"My love to God has so possessed me
that no place remains for loving or hating any
save Him."
(Rabia's reply when asked if she hated Satan)
___________________________________________________
Bismillah.

O son, if there is one thing you should remember about Rabia al-Adawiyya (717 - 801 CE) is her gnosis which transcends the concepts of heaven and hell.

One day Rabia was seen running, carrying fire in one hand and water in the other. They asked her the meaning of her action and where she was going. She replied, "I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils (hindrances to the true vision of God) completely disappear.

And her famous du'a:
"O my Lord, if I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell; and if I worship You for hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise. But if I worship You for Your own sake, do not withold from me Your Eternal Beauty."

O son, may I remind you that your goal (maqsud) should never be the Heaven but the Creator of Heaven, hence our motto is Ilahi anta maqsudi (Lord, You are my goal) wa redhoka matlubi (and Your Pleasure is what I aim for).
_____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment