Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Season's Greetings


Bismillah.

Regardless of your religion, I think you will agree with this saying:
Live in each season as it passes;
breathe the air,
drink the drink,
taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each.
~Thoreau

Someone tweeted that and I liked it. If you are an Islamist, you might have the tendency to Islamicize things and you might say oh yes there's an Islamic teaching in that saying - "resign yourself to the influences of each" because, resign yourself means submitting to the qada and qadar of the season. Islam is about submitting to the Divine's decree. It's true, is it not?

And I will admit that I really like this season. It's got a joyous aura because it's year end and many will go on a holiday with their loved ones since it's school holiday and those who have been busy working throughout the year will take a long leave from work.

I like this season because it's colorful and I love the color red and that's why I like Poinsettia which happens to be a plant associated with the Christmas celebration. I will also admit that I enjoy eating Mince Pies which is also linked to Christmas. So what, it's just a fruit pie/tart, and it's yummy! Just be sure to buy those that comes with a V label (for vegetarian). So I am ok about Dr. Tahir al-Qudri saying it's ok to celebrate Christmas to a certain extent. But of course some may not agree with him.

I don't intend to debate about that. I just want to express my happiness about this season. It's a happy season for many and let's be tolerant and respect our Christian friends and those who celebrate Xmas, Ho Ho Ho! Let's appreciate our similarities and acknowledge our differences. Let's not forget, we love Prophet Isa alaihisalam too. 

Oh, I also like this season because this is the only time you get to see so many things in red and green combo and it's such a beautiful color combination. I also like Christmas trees because they are simply pretty. And I do sing along to Mariah Carey's - "All I want this Christmas is you!"

You may think I am "liberal" in that sense. I think what I am trying to say here is that we must be mature enough to know when to be liberal, conservative or even orthodox.

To all our Christian friends, Merry Christmas! All I want this Christmas is for you and your family to be happy and to be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment