Sunday, March 24, 2013

What do I stand for? | Spring to your feet

Bismillah.

This upbeat song by Fun caught my attention: "O Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for. What do I stand for? What do I stand for? Most nights, I don't know anymore..."

Yes, on some nights, we think we know what we stand for but on some nights we just don't. On some nights we stand up for Him, on most nights we don't.

In my bid to change my routine a bit, I listened to a radio channel from San Jose. That song was being aired on that far away land. Yeah...good ol' San Jose where I spent two years of my life, mostly carefree like wild Freesia. If only the Zaytuna College had been around in the Bay Area those years, you might see a shaykha out of me. heh heh... 

But seriously the younger generations are a lot luckier now. There's plenty of da'wah around. You guys get to grow up with people like Habib Ali al-Hamid, to name but one. When I was at a spoiled age, majlis ta'lim was as rare as pink diamonds. Now in KL we have got a majlis every other day. By the way, today Sunday - Habib Husin Alwi Agiel of Surabaya will be at Ba'alawi KL. Go on spring to your feet and find your way there. Hmm...where were all this habaib hiding before, I keep wondering. In any case, we are grateful for the ray of light that shines our way lately. Alhamdulillahil lazi hadana li haza...

The DJs on K-Bay were talking about the first day of Spring which didn't look like Spring at all. Not yet. No doubt our surrounding affects our mood a great deal. A friend happens to be hiking in the beautiful Scottish highlands, and he too complained about the cold weather. But hey, things will only look better, that's why it's called Spring. Something pleasant is springing forth, that, I pray for you and me. Something that would put a spring in our step and make us go places. Ameen.

Read an interesting quote on Twitter: "A walk through your front door is travel. The only thing you need for a trip is curiosity." Yes, when we go to a place with curiosity, we will discover more. We unlearn and we learn new things. We'll become more grateful hopefully. We'll be more aware of where we stand in the big scheme of things. And perhaps find some truthful answers to the burning questions: What do I stand for? What will I stand for? O Lord, whatever it is, stand by me!



  

p/s Pic taken 21 years ago. I was 21. Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment