Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Born this way | Turning the tables

Bismillah.

Born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. Bullied. Turned the tables as she morphed into a sensation on her own merits and sweat. 

I have heard of her song 'Born this way' by chance and occasionally caught glimpses of her eccentric sense of style but never in my wildest dream imagined I would be inspired reading about her. She is Lady Gaga. But honestly, I thought the interview by Abirami Durai which appeared in November 2013 issue of Faces magazine, was simply fresh and brilliant.

You may not agree with each and every line of her 'Born this way' song or anything about her at all. Prejudice aside. I could sense how real she was from the interview.
  
Young Stefani was mocked a whole lot. People made fun of her appearance. Silly boys threw her into a trash can. She suffered and carried with her, emotional scars. In an interview with Google she admitted feeling like a loser - a feeling that stuck with her. She said, "Bullying stays with you your whole life. I was never the winner..."

As she struggled to carve her own niche - the word niche is really an understatement as far as her craft is concerned - she has to face the naysayers. She said in an interview with the Guardian and I am quoting from Faces: "It gives them a sense of pleasure when they believe they have destroyed me or taken me down..." But she knows herself and the amount of work she does -- "In fact people have no idea what it really took for me to get here. So it doesn't bother me, it's just an interesting observation of where we are as a society." How true! It is an interesting observation about the society.

Lines from her hit song:
"Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way"

The moral is universal. No matter what faith and inclination we have, none benefits from being bullied. None benefits from envy. We have to stay true to ourselves and fight on until the enemies themselves admit: "Well, my my, how the tables have turned." - as said one of Lady Gaga's bully.

Yes Stefani, I agree, "Believe capital H I M".


p/s
I chanced upon Faces the magazine while having dinner with my loved ones. Interesting how much we can learn from the intelligent "accidents" that occur as we go about our daily lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment