Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hoping hopes

Bismillah.

Alhamdulillah wa shukrulillah, just wanted to say thanks for all the generous feedback. I am happy too and humbled that you feel happy coming here. We have one thing in common, we find comfort in good words. And why not, "A good word is a charitable act" says the Prophet salallah alaihi wasalam as related by Bukhari. 

Maya Angelou said:
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

It's all about feelings. And it's all about having hopes too. It's about hoping to feel good when we decide to do or choose something.

Speaking of hopes, I just wanted to say this - that I just dislike the phrase 'hope against hope' because it doesn't do justice to the word hope itself. That, to me is an oxymoron, like saying 'cruel kindness'. By the way, Merriam Webster gave that as an example of an oymoronic phrase because it just doesn't make sense even though people sometimes say you have to sometimes be cruel to be kind. I mean if you are cruel you are cruel, why say you have to be cruel to be kind. It's like saying 'I lied because I love you.' Yeah right!

Hope is a positive thing. You hope the outcome will be positive, so why say 'hope against hope' when in reality you don't have positive expectations. 'Hope against hope' is defined as having hope even when the situation appears to be hopeless. Well, I think it's either you have it or you don't. Either you have hopes or you are hopeless. To believe in 'hope against hope' is to put a limit to hope when it's supposed to be an infinite thing. Martin Luther King Jr. said: "We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope."

Having hope at any time is a good time, so I kinda disagree with Francis Bacon's saying: 'hope is a good breakfast but is a bad supper.' That's because hope is there round the clock for us to fetch it. It's always there, because the Giver of hopes, is Infinite and He never sleeps. 

I remembered when I was younger, it was so much fun singing the chorus:
"Gimme hope Joanna 
Gimme hope Joanna
Gimme hope Joanna
Before the morning come..."

But, it would be better to say...




Pic credit: 
My friend AB went to Turkey and all I got was some nice pictures and a purse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment