Thursday, February 9, 2017

Twice lucky | Serabai Penang

Bismillah.

Yes...yes...yes...Malaysians are all in holiday mood, in conjunction with the Hindu Thaipusam festival today Thursday. Our Chinese friends are all feeling festive too because Chap Goh Mei is just around the corner. Chap Goh Mei means the 15th night of Chinese New Year in Hokkien language [widely spoken in Penang]. The celebration is considered as the Chinese version of Valentine's Day. 

Was at the nursery yesterday, and somehow, I instinctively picked up a potted plant - the Anthurium not realizing it's a "lucky plant". It's synonymous with hospitality and is thought to bring luck. It's also known as the Flamingo Flower or Boy Flower.

Yes, I have been feeling twice lucky and wish to give a shout-out to one honest and thoughtful Chinese, Teka shop manager who kept my sunglasses in her safe hands for about three months! I thought I'd lost it but nay, thanks to her. Teka and its people are indeed a trusted household name.
    
Folks, thanks for listening to my holiday ramblings. Life is full of little, yet significant blessings each and every day. 

My lucky "Boy Flower"

Am promoting Teka, yes!
Teka, as you know, sells home and kitchen appliances.
They don't sell sunglasses. LOL.
Michael Kors, yes they do offer chic shades. 

Yes, I wish to promote Serabai too. It's a traditional pancake popular in Penang and I was pleasantly surprised to see it in Bandung! They call it Kue Serabi Bandung Manis. One famous Serabai stall in Penang is located at Taman Tun Sardon in Gelugor (my neighborhood). Believe me the queue there during weekends/public holidays, is as long and winding as those at KLCC Auntie Anne's pretzel! Serabai is also a local dialect of Malay meaning "unkempt face" LOL. The Serabai pancake (made of rice flour and served with sweet sauce) however, is neat and fair.

Penangites eat Serabai for breakfast/mid-morning snacks.
They don't usually look serabai though.
LOL
  
Cheers!
Alhamdulillah washukrulillah for Allah's abundant generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment